Welcome To My Website

Posted on Friday, September 11th, 2009 at 12:37 pm

You found me!  Hi to all my students at Our Lady of the Evergreens!  barb2

If you scroll down this page it will show you  the most recent updates.

To see all of my website click on the different category tabs on the right,  or click on the orange highlighted words below: CLICK ANY WORDS IN ORANGE AND THEY WILL TAKE YOU RIGHT THAT CATEGORY OR TO ANY WEBSITES THAT ARE MENTIONED!

For Book Reviews, look for me in the first Saturday of the Month, in the Arts and Books section of the Calgary Herald.

Kid Links takes you to some great Kid Sites!

Kids Can Write contains helpful advice for students who want to put all their creative thoughts into a great story.

Novels is the first  novel I wrote called, “My Guardian.” Scroll down and read the chapters, when you get to the end, click on OLDER ENTRIES to finish it off to Chapter 14.  Enjoy!  I welcome comments.

Writing Tips is for kids and adults who want to make their story writing better.  Reading Tips will help parents help their kids!

Library Bulletin Boards:  check out my  library  bulletin board creations for different seasons and themes.

When you click on the ARCHIVES tab at the right you will see what updates have been added for each month.

About Barb Hesson is about me!

Enjoy, try it all.  Suggestions and comments are welcome.

YOU CAN CLICK ON the  HOME tab- always on the top – OR ANY OF THE TABS ON THE SIDE TO GET AROUND.

You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

18 Responses to “Welcome To My Website”

1. Mary says:

I love your bulletin boards! Is it original art? Or is there somewhere I can locate your bear in the “Hibernate with a Good Book” Bulletin.

2. The artwork has come from a variety of books on making bulletin boards.

A great site to check is: http://www.highsmith.com/
    This is Highsmith Upstart library resources. A great bulletin board book is “Keep em Reading Bulletin Boards,” and I think the other is called, “More Keep em Reading….”

3. Roseanna Terrio says:

Hi Barbra

Wow, I love your website, it is just fantastic! Keep up the great work.

Thanks
    Roseanna

4. barbrahesson says:

Thanks for the encouraging comments!

5. Barbra,
    Hi. I am interested in the bulletin board titled, “POP INTO THE LIBRARY”. Where did you get materials for making the pictures?
    Thanks.
    Elizabeth

6. barbrahesson says:

I enlarged some pictures from the Print Shop Premier Edition.

7. Alecia Goodwin says:

Dearest Ms. Hesson,
    I’m a media clerk in Atlanta, Georgia. I work for DeKalb County School System. I’m interested in the bulletin board titled, “Oh, The Places You’ll Go”. Where did you get the children from on that bulletin board?
    Thank you in advance!!
    Alecia

8. barbrahesson says:

I got most of them from the “The Print Shop” software program.

9. Claire says:

Great bulletin boards. I especially like the dolls holding books that you have included in several of them. Can you share your source for them,please?

I can think of lots of ways to use them in my media center.

10. barbrahesson says:

I have purchased beany baby dolls, mostly from dollar stores. I have used them in many displays holding tiny books that I have made from publishing catalogues, just cut out the small images. I also use them in various stances on top of my library shelving.

11. Valencia says:

A great site to check is: http://www.highsmith.com/

12. Aparna Ranish says:

Gr8 Blog . Loved your bulletin board ideas … very creative … can you help me choose some books for our new primary school (grade 1-4) library … we have kindergarten as well…looking forward for your valuable suggestion… thanks

13. barbrahesson says:

Thanks for your encouragement. If you are thinking about picture books, our kids love anything by David Shannon “No David” is the main title, Scaredy Squirrel Series by Melanie Watt, “How do Dinosaurs….” by Jane Yolen, the Dino-Soccer etc by Lis Wheeler, anything by Lauren Child (Charlie and Lola) and anything by Ted Arnold. Also a really big hit is any of the Look and Find books. In novels I would suggest these series for younger students: Junie B Jones, Judy Moody, Magic Tree House, Schooling Around, Dinosaur Cove, Geronimo Stilton, Puppy Place, Just Grace. For a bit older crowd: How I survived Middle School,Dear Dumb Diary, of course The Wimpy Kid, any Star Trek series, The thirty-nine clues, Lemony Snicket, Lightning Thief, Cinderella Cleaners, Indiana Jones, Candy Apple, Chronicles of Narnia. I guess I could go on and on, but those are some of the more popular ones. Good luck.

14. Shelly says:

I love all of your bulletin boards! I was interested in the “Building Readers” board. I love the idea and it would be perfect in my library. I checked out Highsmith like you suggested to others and I Googled for truck cutouts. You don’t have any clue where/when you got those do you? Or did you make them? Just trying to figure out how to reproduce! Thanks!

15. barbrahesson says:

I actually got those cut outs at a Dollar Store in Colville Washington about 3 years ago. You could try googling “Truck colouring book pictures” and then you would have to enlarge them. I often photocopy my pictures onto a clear plastic sheet and then use an overhead to enlarge them. Or if you are a good artist, go for it. When you type in “colouring book pictures” you often get really good simple images. Good luck!

16. Shelly says:

Thanks! I will try it!

17. Sandy says:

Hi Barbra,

I didn’t know how else to contact you. I tried to click on your “Book Reviews” link but I could not get onto the page. I am trying to find the title/author of a fantasy book I read to my class years ago and when I googled a brief line about a part of book one of your links showed up with a very similar piece in the “blurb” by the link.

Could you possibly help me?

Thanks so much.

18. barbrahesson says:

Sorry for the late reply. I have taken my Book Reviews off as they were a lot of work to manage, only because I read so much. I have put most of them on Goodreads if that helps. If you could give me any more info as to the subject of the book I may remember it.